Indication Of Infra-Red Radiations and nonluminous lamp
- Radiation with a wavelength of 750 – 400000 nm
- Produce heat when they absorbed by the body tissues
Two types (wavelength)
Short infrared(wavelength is 750-1500 nm)
long infrared(wavelength above 1500 nm)
PHYSIOLOGICAL EFFECTS Of Infra Red
1. Temperature: produces electrically heat in the body tissues
Increase in local temperature occur due to electrically heat
If applied for longer duration there may be increased in general body temperature.
2. Metabolism: is the collective process by which living status of the tissues or body is maintained
This may occur as per the Can’t Hoff’s statement. It states that any chemical change capable of being accelerated by heat is accelerated by rising in temperature.
3. Blood supply: increases the local blood supply
It may occur due to the direct effect of heat on the vessels in term of vasodilatation
Due to the increase in vasodilatation, there is an increase in the lumen of vessels which leads to increased blood supply
4. Effects on nerves: mild heating may reduce the excitability of the nerves especially sensory nerves.
5. Muscle relaxation: the rise in temperature induces relaxation of muscles and increase their efficacy of action. The muscle contract and relax very easily but the strength of contraction is unaffected
6. Tissue damage: excessive heating may cause the damage to the tissues in form of coagulation or thermal burns.
7. Blood pressure: a prolonged application can reduce blood pressure. This happens due to the generalized vasodilatation and reduction in viscosity of the blood
8. Sweating: increase in local and general temperature can cause increased sweating either local region or generalized depending on the extent of heating.
THERAPEUTIC EFFECTS Of Infra Red
1. Pain relief:
May occur due to the sedative effect on sensory nerves, due to resolution in inflammation and due to the relief of underlying muscle spasm.
2. Muscle spasm:
Induces muscle relaxation by a sedative effect on the nerve, increased blood circulation and the removal of metabolites.
Minimize the joint stiffness due to increased extensibility of connective tissue as a result of an increase in local temperature and due to the relief of pain, spasm, and inflammation
4. Inflammation :
Increase in blood supply increases white blood cells, antibodies and other essentials nutritive material
Increase in these materials may help in the resolution of inflammation
5. Musculoskeletal trauma:
Accelerates the healing by increasing the amount of nutritive material required for healing following musculoskeletal trauma.
The depth of penetration :
Maximum penetration is 3cm
May vary from 0.1 to a few centimeters
A non-luminous generator has less penetration than luminous generator.
LUMINOUS GENERATORS (produces light & heat)
Equipped w/ruby colored Infra-Red bulbs w/thick protective lens and an optical system which produces an 18″ beam pattern
NON-LUMINOUS GENERATOR (produces only radiant heat )
An indication of Infra-red radiation heat lamp consists of ceramic heaters that change color from coral to gray when energized.
No visible light produced.
Low back pain,
Osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis,
Sprains, strains, muscle tear, tendon tear, capsulitis, tendinitis,
Traumatic arthritis and
Advanced cardiac disease
DANGERS AND PRECAUTIONS Of Infra Red
1. Burns: Superficial burns as a red patch is seen on the skin. Caused by
Moving nearer to the lamp
Fall asleep during the treatment
Defective skin sensation
2. Electric Shock: Touching exposed parts of the machine or the live wire.
3. Gangrene: If applied to parts with defective blood supply and not to be applied
4. Head Ache: During the hot weather due to dehydration, so advised to take plenty of water
5. Faintness: Fall of BP cause hypoxia of brain and faintness, sudden change of position avoided
6. Injury To The Eye: May cause cataracts and eyes should be protected.
TECHNIQUES OF APPLICATION
1. PREPARATION OF THE APPARATUS:
Choice of apparatus:
Acute inflammation or recent injuries – NON LUMINOUS GENERATOR (Sedative effect)
Chronic conditions – LUMINOUS GENERATOR (Counter irritation effect)
Check and test the apparatus:
To ensure the working condition of the apparatus.
2. PREPARATION OF THE PATIENT:
Explanation about the treatment
Expose the part
Position the patient
Check the local contraindications
Check the skin sensation
3. ARRANGMENTS OF LAMP:
Position the lamp so that the part to be treated is the right angle, with a distance of 50 to 75 cm between the patient and the lamp.
4. DURATION OF TREATMENT:
For chronic conditions:
up to 20 minutes